Sunday 28 August 2016

Smashwords Interview with Erotica author PT Winters

I'm working on 2 more stories, so I haven't written a proper blog posting for a bit, thought I'd at least share my smashwords interview in the meantime. 
(They have a bunch of questions for any author to answer, so this isn't like they called me up to chat, I just answered them a while back. You can see it here as well)

When did you first start writing?
I've been writing in various mediums since elementary school. First thing I recall writing was a choose your own adventure book in grade 4. Since then I've written online articles, short films and even a little for television.

I tried writing some erotica in university but didn't seriously sit down to write anything until 2014, I published a bunch of shorts on literotica, which lead to a paying gig, which made me decide to try this seriously in early 2016.
What is the greatest joy of writing for you?
The greatest joy of writing is the singular voice.
I like collaborating with others, but there is something satisfying about being solely responsible.
Whatever you like or don't like about my work is on me, and there is something about that I really like.
Describe your desk
My desk is a mess, business cards, bits of paper and random odds and ends all over the place. I try to keep it tidy, but fail.

That said, I do the bulk of my writing on my phone, using the desk for when I need to do my editing or publishing tasks
What do your fans mean to you?
The fact that I have fans surprises me.

I've had a guy from France contact me several times, which was odd as I hadn't considered non English speakers liking my stuff.

I've also had a few ladies tell me my writing was exciting for them to read, and I had assumed my audience was all male.

That readers care enough to actually take time to read and even spend money on something I wrote is validating. Even better is when they give me feedback. I love hearing what they liked or didn't like, so I know which bits to work on with my next story.

So fans basically make me a better writer
How do you discover the ebooks you read?
Social media is a big part of how I find things to read. That said, random promotion doesn't work, its when someone I trust or am already entertained by recommends something that I take notice.
What inspires you to get out of bed each day?
On good days, it's entertaining people. Whether it's writing or one of my other projects, I love entertaining people. I'm not saving lives, but there is value in making people enjoy their lives more, and that's what I like to do.

On bad days, it's my wife. I like knowing that my work helps make her life easier (not that she needs me to take care of her)
Do you remember the first story you ever wrote?
The first story I remember was a choose your own adventure based on a movie I had seen. I took the characters on a brand new adventure and drew images on every page. That was in grade four and I don't think my drawing ability has improved at all since.

The first erotic story I wrote is called "A limo ride with Cindi" and it's still probably one of the strongest things I've ever written. I had a simple and somewhat original premise and the ending was clear in my mind when I started writing it.
It isn't my most popular story, but the response from people that have read it has been overwhelmingly positive.
What is your writing process?
Most of the time I have a situation in mind. As an erotic author, it's usually an unusual reason for people to have sex, and then I just start writing. I tend to find the character's voices as I write.

This process often means rewriting a lot of the first halves of stories (so characters are better defined from them moment they are introduced) but it works for me.

I also tend to have multiple stories on the go at any one time. If ideas aren't flowing for one, I can go back and edit another.
What do you read for pleasure?
I read a fair bit of erotica for pleasure (boy does that read dirtier than I intended) I read it for years and years before I tried to write it.

I also like general science fiction. At this point I tend to avoid the large franchises, and look for newer, more original stories.
What is your e-reading device of choice?
The kindle.
I was given one years ago, and it was shocked at how much I liked it.
Always thought I'd be a printed book person, but I do love my kindle!
What motivated you to become an indie author?
I wrote a bunch of stories and eventually decided to post them online to see what other people thought of them.
Literotica.com has been very kind to me, and I actually had some one hire me for an anthology based on a specific story. That made me realize I have enough ability to actually build an audience (which I am slowly doing.)

Incidentally, the story that got me the gig (The Lorian Paradox) is the hardest one I have to market. People who read it tend to love it, but getting people to read it is a challenge I haven't fully figured out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment