Saturday 23 July 2016

Female readers and Erotica

There are two things I feel like mentioning regarding my erotica with regard to women

When I decided to make a serious go at writing I did a little research. Like most erotica authors, I don't use my real name. Part of me isn't sure why, it's not like there isn't a sizeable chunk of the population that reads erotica, so why not put my name on it? It's like we have this society wide hidden shame. The most fun thing the human body can do is sex and we're all too embarrassed to talk about it!

Regardless, I'm no different than everyone else so I had to find a pen name. Apparently regardless of the actual gender of the writer, most pen names are female. So I started with initials to be gender neutral, not wanting to lie but also hedging my bets. Very quickly however, I just admitted I am a guy. Mainly cause the world doesn't need any more guys pretending to be women on the Internet.

The other thing worth mentioning is I have female readers. Like more than one. This isn't me bragging, this is me being genuinely surprised. I had assumed anyone reading my stuff would be a horny, presumably lonely guy but apparently my Wifely Duties and Great 48 series are popular with women.

Part of what surprised me is that those stories feature submissive and even reluctant women. While writing them more than once I was concerned I was being misogynistic, something I try really hard to avoid in real life. So when I write a scene with a woman being submissive to a man, I'm hyper aware of what I am doing. I don't want to contribute the real world poor treatment of women. This is not to say I always get it right, but if you read those stories, I focus on submission and avoid having any characters degrading the others.

Even still, to have female readers respond to those stories caught me off guard.
Actual emails have said:

"Love how you objectify us woman to please our men. Major turn on. Please keep writing!!!"
And
"...had me wet for which you have my gratitude!"

Again, this isn't me bragging, I'm very flattered by it but don't understand itGuess this whole human sexuality thing really is more complex than I had thought.

Of course, those readers could all be men pretending to be women, so I don't take any of this too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment